Sleeves, sweet vintage finds and a double birthday

Hi there! I've been working some more on my Young Victoria gown and the bodice is getting there. I will still need to make the skirt, bustle and pantaloons (and eventually a cape)  but I'm getting there. I finished setting in the sleeves yesterday and am quite pleased with the result.
Here is what it looks like now:


At first I wanted to make straight sleeves with the lace ruffles, but My pattern didn't come out that good, so I decided to gather them. I'm quite pleased with the result. 

Back

Close-up on the sleeve


That's the bertha. It isn't pinned on or anything, I just laid it over the bodice to get an idea of the look. The only ting I like less with it is that it covers a part of the cute gathered sleeves. There will also be some blue tabs in the middle and on the sides to fix it in place and finish the look. 



Here is the lace I used for the sleeves. It is really quite beautiful and was pretty expensive (10$/m!!), but worth it. I bought a lenght of double sided lace, and cut it to have the two layers, one longer, and one shorter in widht. Then I sewed them on top of one another and gathered it all in the sleeves. 



Also, last week I went to a wonderful antiques store near Quebec City and bought these: The gloves are made from a wonderful soft leather, and the two baby bonnets are just darling. I think the one on the left is from the 50's or 60's and was originally part of a christening ensemble. The one on the right is most likely from the 40's. I might make some modern reproductions and sell them in my etsy shop. 



And finally, today is may 24th of may. Not only it marks Queen Victoria's 194th's birthday, it also marks the first birthday of the first baby I helped being born as a doula. I'm told this sweet girl is thriving, happy and growing well. Happy Birthday!

Queen (or actually Princess) Victoria as a baby

Have a nice day!

Commentaires

Enregistrer un commentaire